The History of Panerai Watches
Panerai is a luxury Swiss watch manufacturer, manufacturing, marketing and selling watches through authorised dealers and boutiques. Panerai was founded in Florence, Italy and maintains its headquarters there but also manufactures watches in Switzerland. Below are select important dates from the history of the Italian watch maker Officine Panerai.
- 1864 - Giovanni Panerai opens his watch shop in Florence, serving as a watch shop, a workshop and a watchmaking school.
- 1913 - Panerai begins working with the Italian Navy on the manufacture of highly precise instruments.
- 1935 - This collaboration with the Italian Navy extends to the supply of pocket stopwatches.
- 1936 - Panerai created the first prototype of the model now known as "Radiomir" for the Italian Navy.
- 1938 - marks the birth of the first military divers' watch which measured 47mm and was designed by Panerai for optimum clarity underwater.
- 1956 - sees the commission of the Panerai Radiomir watch for the Egyptian Navy which includes a rotating bezel and a 60mm oversized case.
- 1995 - having been producing very small limited edition watches for a couple of years Panerai is now asked by the actor Sly Stallone to make him a very small number of watches now known as the Panerai Slytech watches.
- 1997 - Panerai is purchased by the Richemont group and enters a new era.
- 2004 - The Panerai Luminor Submersible is released and wins several horological prizes.
- 2006 - Panerai releases its Manifattura collection of watches with movements created by Panerai?s master watch makers.